I wrote a conclusion for each final garment and noted how the design tied in with my theme of Metamorphosis. But I wanted to also add an overall summary of the project as a whole.
This was always intended as a purely experimental process (and collection). The final designs weren’t supposed to be season-based, or look like they were part of a cohesive collection. This was purely an exercise in recycling, to see how existing garments could be used to inspire different designs, and even how to make use of existing features within an original garment.
The entire collection consists of the following recycled garments:
- Six men’s shirts
- One hounds tooth dress
- One lace maternity dress
- One black gathered/layered skirt
- One red summer dress
- One cream wrap-over dress
The collection is zero waste with minimal ‘new’ materials introduced into the garments. The new materials used consisted of things such as, interfacing, ribbon for hanging loops and waistbands and a few vintage buttons.
The only downside to this project adhering to my ‘zero-waste’ aims, was the amount of hours I spent unpicking garments. If this project had been about minimal waste I could have saved time by simply cutting off seam allowances as a faster way to get started draping designs on the stand.
All the designs by the end were stand-draped, so I didn’t get much use out of my drafted blocks, except to occasionally compare them against my draped pattern pieces (to make sure shapes and sizes looked accurate). So, the flat pattern drafting was helpful, but did not speed up the rate in which I made the patterns and final designs. I do, however, love stand draping as a technique. It is a quick and instant way to see a design in 3D, where you can adjust the drape and panels of the garment until the fabric bends to your will!
Overall, I am very happy with the end result and feel incredibly inspired to do more with recycled (including making myself some things from the leftover garments). Not only is this a great way to keep clothing out of landfill, but it is also a good future service for potential clients, by transforming much-loved, but worn garments, into something very different – to extend their life cycle.
This skirt and top was made from two men’s shirts (size S), the skirt lining from a pleated maternity dress (size 12) and the top will be lined with material from a cotton wrap-over dress (size 12) (as seen in the photos above).
NOTE: The top lining has not yet been added, but the fabric has been set aside for it, to add at a later date.
The main body of both the skirt and top is just two men’s long-sleeved shirts. The design has quite random pleating, to have a very natural drape.
The top features angled pockets (created by folding up the shirt. This is a nice little hidden feature that could go unnoticed by everyone except the wearer – perfect.
The pleated godet’s, on the skirt, and the bustle, on the top, are adjustable, making this a garment that the wearer can subtly transform.
I wanted to location of my photo shoot to be at the Samuel Worth Chapel, at Sheffield General Cemetery. This was because the chapel was a derelict building that has been renovated over a two-year period and transformed into an events space for arts, cultural and music events. It’s a beautiful building and I am very happy that it is now an interesting space that can be used for many years to come.
This building ties in perfectly with my recycling theme, by recycling and reusing what is already there.
I’m very grateful to my beautiful model for being great throughout the year of my MA Final Project, for the weather being glorious on that particular day, and with the outcome of the final photos.
This pleated dress was made from a maternity dress and a gathered/layered skirt, both size 12 (as seen in the photos above).
This design was based on my earlier paper pleating experiment.
The dress is made up of multiple pleated lace layers on top of multiple gathered layers. The top half spirals around the body, in a shell-like way. The design features aspects of my Metamorphosis theme, such as, internal structures, multiple layers, adjustable waist (via a shirred panel), allowing for natural growth (thereby extending the life of the garment), also the outer lace layer can be likened to an ‘epidermal’ layer (as in organic structures) with its semi-transparent properties.
The design doesn’t resemble the paper pleating experiment as much as I would have like, but this was mainly due to there not being enough of the pleated lace to mirror the pleat suppression of the original paper design. So, this is an adapted version of the original that has a different silhouette.
There is a one-day exhibition on today at the Cast in Doncaster of our collective MA Final Projects. This is a collaborative exhibition, featuring work from both full and part-time students on the MA Creative Pattern Cutting course. The exhibition runs from 3pm until 6pm.
Come down and take a look!