I chose the word ‘METAMORPHOSIS’ for my experimental recycled collection because it perfectly sums up and captures what I want to create – transforming a garment(s) from one form in to a new form.
Meta = “change” morph = “form”
“A change of the form or nature of a thing or person into a completely different one.”
– Oxford English Dictionary definition
Metamorphosis makes me think of:
- Casting off an outer shell.
- Something developing inside (tied in with hidden features, hidden treasures).
- Transforming into something new, to take on a new form.
- Evolving or mutating into something else.
Ideas and themes for my collection
- Utilise zero/minimal waste cut using recycled garments – the only new materials will be linings, fastenings, etc.
- Giving something a second life to a garment – regenerating and transforming old garments in to something new and unique.
- Hidden treasures – incorporate hidden details in the garments, such as internal pleating or panels to give a supporting structure to the frame, whereby it’s only for the owner that knows it exists. There could also be hidden panels or features.
- Experimentation – Explore what is possible through creative cut and see what ideas I come up with to reflect my theme and title.